Having an “owner-verified” Google business listing helps your online visibility. It tells the search engines your business is legitimate.
In 2010, Google launched Places—a listing and profile page for every local business and organization worldwide.
Business owners can claim their listing to gain access (or create a new one, if none exists). Here are the top four reasons you should do so right away.
1. Claimed Listings Help You Appear in the Local Section
Business listings appear in the “local” section of the search results page:
This section of the page is reserved for businesses with a physical location within the search area. Showing up here is your best chance at competing against national brands that don’t have a local office in your market.
2. Claimed Listings Improve Search Engine Ranking
Having a claimed and “owner-verified” local listing helps your online visibility. It’s one of the factors search engines take into account when deciding to rank a business above or below a competitor.
3. Claimed Listings Give Customers Correct Information
It’s not uncommon for Google to have wrong information. (Our original unclaimed listing said we were an employment agency.) Claimed listings can be corrected for such inaccuracies.
4. Claimed Listings Help Customers Make Purchase Decisions
Once your listing is claimed, you can add information—like hours of operation, business categories, and a cover photo. The more information you provide, the more likely people will choose you over the competition.
Having this “enhanced” information in your listing increases your chances of appearing in the coveted “local” section of the search page. It’s one more signal to Google that you have an active business.
Get Listed, Get Found
Google Places is now Google My Business. You can claim or add your listing here.
But wait! There are hundreds of other local directories and review sites your business should be listed on. With our Premium Business Listings, you get everything above, plus:
- We claim your listings on 20 other top local directories (Yahoo, Bing, Yelp, Foursquare, Citysearch and more)
- We enhance your listings with additional information (such as hours of operation, business categories, and so on)
- We submit your business to a network of over 250 local search directories, search engines, Internet Yellow Pages, and mobile platforms
- We create a Facebook Business Page for you, then add your business information, cover photo, and map location
The more places you appear, the better your chances of being found online. Call 800-255-5509 to get listed and get found.